Agudio Palace is the seat of Malgrate City Hall.
Between 1770 and 1780, the Agudios combined some of their buildings to create the current structure of the Palace, entrusting the project to the architect Bovara.
The window frames and the three balconies mark the three sections of the façade. From the beautiful carved stone portal you will enter the courtyard paved in cobble stones, characterised by a U-shaped plan open towards the stairway that leads to a raised garden. The balcony on the internal façade, the wall paintings and decors date back to the late 18th century during the first renovation of the Palace. All rooms have elegant fireplaces which differ from one another. The majestic staircase of honor with two flights is a typical example of Bovara’s neoclassical style which can be appreciated in many civil and industrial architectures of this area. Both the Council Chamber and the Mayor Room have frescoed ceilings which have been realized in a later stage of decoration. The Council Chamber once was the Drawing Room. The Mayor Room, with its ceiling divided into uniformly painted surfaces, was originally the bedroom with an adjoining dressing room.
The City Hall was originally located in the area of the current drugstore in Via Volta, and even prior to that it was situated near Villa Torri.
- Tiziana Rota “Malgrate da vivere, da conoscere da vedere”.
- Curiosità a cura di Romolo Bonfanti.